Sunday, September 15, 2013

Tour of Room 610

What the students see as they walk into room 610:

Totally stolen from Pinterest





 My cart with individual white boards.  How can you teach math without them? But, my favorite are the group white boards cut by the friendly guy at Lowes (full sheets cut in half).  They cover 4 desktops perfectly and allow for large print when sharing work with the whole class.


 I love having plants in my classroom, and it's the perfect spot for my Roger Federer and Bryan Brothers posters.
 My advisory is made up of 18 5th through 8th graders and we meet the first 25 minutes of each day.  We also have an all day community service day in the fall and an all day activity day in the spring.  I love starting my day with these awesome students!  We named our group "Wix's Wildfire."  Last year we tie-dyed cool shirts and then screened our logo onto them. 



 Our building is just a few years old and our administrator wanted ALL of the walls painted white.  Along with the white ceilings and white flecked tile floors it feels very institutional!  My students do a scale drawing activity in the spring and the huge posters are perfect for adding color to the walls for the beginning of the next year.


Open House is the only time of year my desk will look this organized!

And finally, our class mascot, Bert, the farting Hippo.  (It is, after all, middle school!)

2 comments:

  1. I would like to know more about the large posters. Your students make them? What materials do they use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My students do make them, usually toward the end of the year as a break after state tests. I cut up an Argus poster into 8 cm squares (I have to trim a little piece off the longer edge). I give the students 16" piece of paper and we fold it both directions so that we have 2" squares. They draw lines forming 1cm squares on the poster squares. The goal is to use scale drawing to enlarge their piece of the poster. Nobody knows what it will say until everyone is finished and we piece it together. Thanks for the inquiry.

      Delete