Tuesday, April 5, 2016

A little change makes a profound difference


posted Dec 8, 2015, 9:09 AM by Amy Wix   [ updated 23 hours ago ]
Annie Fetter is a math wonder I follow on twitter (@MFAnnie) who 
works with the Math Forum. She is big on the idea of getting
 students to Notice and Wonder. Click here for a example.  It is
pretty amazing what students come up with on their own. For a 
long time I have been using Mr. Stadel's Estimation 180 to begin 
my math classes. Lately I have been leaving the picture up with
out the question and we've added the notice an wonder discussion. 
 One example was from Day 70- The lit up 2012 Rockefeller 
Christmas tree.  I had the usually comments: how tall, how many
 strings of lights, how many lights, etc.  The one that got a lot of 
discussion going was "How much energy does it take to have that
 tree lit up?"  This started a discussion about being able to "measure" 
energy and how that can even be done (which totally connected to 
their Science class).   I'm going to try and incorporate a little more
of this notice and wonder in my classes, and see where it takes us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment