Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Do you Know What You are Asking

 

posted Oct 18, 2015, 7:24 PM by Amy Wix   [ updated Oct 18, 2015, 7:41 PM ]
One activity I like to do with my students in the beginning of the year is
“Do you know what you are asking?”  I have a sheet of labels with 
different questions.  I put one question on each student’s back and they 
all have a recording sheet.  They go around the room reading and answering
each other’s questions.  Each student records all of the responses they 
collect.  When the data collecting is finished, I will project a list of all
the questions and the students try and figure out which question was
on their back.  


I like this activity for a couple of reasons.  First of all, I have a neat set 
of data that I can pull out any time of year when we have a few minutes
left in class.  We can work on graphing, placing on number lines, talk 
about outliers, etc. with data that is personal to the class.  Also, this gives
me a chance to see my students in action.  I can tell who the shy ones are
because they walk around the outside of the room and wait for students
to approach them.  The more outgoing ones are always the first to finish collecting their data.  I can gather some personal info- who likes to text, how many siblings they have, 
how many hours they spend in front of a screen.  Also, I find how many 
of my 6th graders need help in Social Studies- it boggles my mind how 
many students don’t know how many states are in the United States!


All in all, the students are engaged and I have a nice set of data to use for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment