Tuesday, April 5, 2016

First Days of School




First Days of School

posted Oct 18, 2015, 5:13 PM by Amy Wix
Why is it that the first days of school are so exhausting?
It's true, there is no tired like the first day tired.


Day 1 I followed @saravdwerf plan and had my 6th graders
 work on the 1-100 number chart individually and as groups.
 We talk about how working alone we experiences some
 frustration, but as a group we were able to move further along.
 When we looked closer (as a group) we were able to discover a
 pattern and it made the task even easier. This was a great
 introductory activity for a variety of reasons. It contrasted
individual work (quiet, focused) and group work (louder,
everyone participating) and it also gave me a chance to
introduce the idea of productive struggle. How did it feel
when you were working alone? How confident are you now
that you can work on your own now that we have discovered
the pattern? Do you think you would have learned the same
thing if I had just given you the pattern to start with?









Day 2 Today we discussed the ideas of growth mindset. As
groups the students brainstormed what they already new
about growth mindset vs. fixed mindset on the large group
whiteboards. Then I showed them the Broken Escalator video
(again, idea stolen from @saravdwert). It was hilarious
 watching the students watch the video. The would say to
there groups all sorts of variations of "he's stupid," "why
doesn't he just walk?" and "get off the escalator!" Next we
watched Jo Boaler's student boosting video to further explain
 growth mindset.


To explain the final part of the lesson, I need to back up and
 tell you how I came about the idea. Like a lot of my students,
I went to camp last summer. A friend and I attended
  Tennis and Life Camp at Gustavus Adolphus College.
 This was heaven for me- hours and hours each day playing
tennis, talking about tennis and watching exhibition matches
with the college players. One of the "life" sessions I attended
was presented by the Gustavus women's tennis coach John
 Carlson. He had us think of a time when we were playing an
 amazing match- what felt like our best tennis ever. Then he
had us write down 3 words that described how we felt when
we were playing that match. Coach Carlson said he does this
with his players each year. When they are out on the court
and show negative attitude or frustration with how the game
 is going, he asks them, "What are your 3 words?" and the
 players respond with "I am ____, I am ______ and
 I am _________." Coach Carlson said that we have over
60,000 thoughts a day going through our head (I didn't fact
check this- but he was such a believable guy I felt it safe to
 quote him!) Most of those thoughts are negative. By asking
his players what their 3 words are, they are forced to be
more positive with their thoughts.


As we went through this activity I was thinking,
"This would be great for my advisory students when we
 talk about mindset." Then, mind blown! This would be a
good activity for all my students!


Each of the students went through the same steps with me:

write down a time you were really proud of an
accomplishment- in sports, in a class, at home.
List all the adjectives that you can describing how you felt.
 Choose the 3 best ones.
Write these out on an index card beginning with "I am..."
After sharing our words with our peers we glued these into
the front cover of our learning journal.
ticket out the door was a fist bump and their 3 words.
My goal this year is to have the students own their 3 words,
 especially when they are struggling with a concept or needing
 to re-take an assessment. I'll keep you posted on how it's going.
 Oh, yeah, my 3 words: confident, invincible, motivated (to do
 better). I think I'll carry those over from the tennis court into
my classroom this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment