Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Change

posted Oct 18, 2015, 8:07 PM by Amy Wix
This summer, after attending an NCTM Affiliates conference, I read a book called
 Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Chip Heath and 
Dan Heath (2010).  I submitted an article to MCTM's MathBits earlier this year. 
One idea in this book came up during a PLC discussion last week.  The discussion
 was actually about using Google Classroom  vs. requiring students to write 
assignments in their planners.  Some people see using tools like Classroom
 enabling our students.  This reminded me of one of the lines in the book- 
 "Sometimes people problems are really environment problems."  In the past
 years our team has had a "point system" where students lose a point if they 
forget their homework or supplies, or they misbehave in class.  Some supplies 
I use a lot of the time in my class are red pens, glue and scissors.  If students
 forgot their supplies, it would take at least 4-5 minutes to get down to the 
locker bay, find their supplies and return to the classroom.  Very disruptive. 
 I looked at this as an environment problem this year.  I asked the students 
to come prepared for class, however, I also showed them where  I keep extra 
supplies.  Now when I ask them to take out their scissors  and they have 
forgotten theirs, they walk to the corner of the room grab a pair (and leave 
a shoe so that I get them back!).  It's no big deal.   I don't have to "take a 
check" form the students who aren't prepared and more time is spent 
 in class.  The question I am wondering about- am I enabling them?  
Am I making it too easy for them not to be responsible for their own things? 
I've taken what I use to view as a people problem and created an environment
  that eliminates the problem.  Will my students go to 7th grade less prepared?
  Less responsible?  I'm not sure.  But if I have these students in my room
 working on the math 5 minutes more a day, I think they will be better 
prepared for 7th grade math.    

No comments:

Post a Comment