Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Okay Google...


posted Jan 20, 2016, 9:00 AM by Amy Wix   [ updated 23 hours ago ]


Lot’s of times I have had the meme that says something to the effect
 that if a question can be answered by google, we are asking a student 
to regurgitate facts and not really use higher level thinking.  Of course, 
when I want the meme to add to this blog post, I can’t seem to find it- 
not even with the help of Google. 

Last weekend was the Eagles Cancer Telethon in Rochester.  As my 
family was driving into town we saw the spotlight flashing through 
the sky from the event.  An eccentric friend of the family happens to
 be the owner of the spotlight, so we had a little inside information. 
 It is a leftover piece of equipment from WWII.  We were wondering
 how the spotlight was used in the war- did it swivel around, or did 
someone follow specific aircraft in the night sky?  Apparently, there 
was an attachment that collected sound waves that would direct the 
light help the military locate the aircraft and guide the light to it. 
 This led the discussion to us asking which branch of the military
 actually used it- the Air Force wasn’t created until after WWII.  My
 son, in the back seat says. “Okay Google, when was the US Air Force 
established? It says 1947, prior to that the Navy and Army shared the
 duties.”  As our drive into town continued, with the help of “Okay, 
Google” we learned lots more history about the aircraft and the role
it played during WWI and WWII.  

This was just one of many such rides for our family.  We often come 
across something in our path that gets us to ask a question.  My son,
 being part of the generation who has always had technology at his
 fingertips, doesn’t want to wait for an answer, he wants to know NOW.  
Okay, Google. 

This same kind of discussion has happened in my classroom.  We will 
be talking about something, a student will ask me a question and my
response is sometime. “I’m not sure, we’ll have to investigate…” and 
before I have the sentence complete, one of my students has his phone 
out and is googling the question.  What a wealth of knowledge our
 students have at their fingertips- if we teach them how to ask questions
 and we allow them to use it.  It has been years since I have told a
 student to “look it up in the dictionary.”   I think it is much better for 
them to be able to google the word and find the meaning at the time 
they are coming across it- building connections and attaching meaning 
hopefully will promote better understanding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment